Python is developed by Guido van Rossum. Guido van Rossum started implementing Python in 1989. Python is a very simple programming language so even if you are new to programming, you can learn python without facing any issues.
Features of Python programming language
1. Readable: Python is a very readable language.
2. Easy to Learn: Learning python is easy as this is an expressive and high-level programming language, which means it is easy to understand the language and thus easy to learn.
3. Cross-platform: Python is available and can run on various operating systems such as Mac, Windows, Linux, Unix, etc. This makes it a cross-platform and portable language.
4. Open Source: Python is an open-source programming language.
5. Large standard library: Python comes with a large standard library that has some handy codes and functions which we can use while writing code in Python.
6. Free: Python is free to download and use. This means you can download it for free and use it in your application. Python is an example of a FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source Software), which means you can freely distribute copies of this software, read its source code and modify it.
7. Supports exception handling: If you are new, you may wonder what is an exception? An exception is an event that can occur during program exception and can disrupt the normal flow of the program. Python supports exception handling which means we can write less error-prone code and can test various scenarios that can cause an exception later on.
8. Advanced features: Supports generators and list comprehensions. We will cover these features later.
9. Automatic memory management: Python supports automatic memory management which means the memory is cleared and freed automatically. You do not have to bother clearing the memory.
Why Learn Python Programming?
Python is a high-level dynamic programming language. It is quite easy to learn and provides powerful typing. Python code has a very 'natural' style to it, in that it is easy to read and understand (thanks to the lack of semicolons and braces). Python programming language runs on any platform, ranging from Windows to Linux to Macintosh, Solaris, etc.
The simplicity of Python is what it makes so popular. The following gives a highlight of its aesthetics:
- Highly readable language
- Clean visual layout
- Less syntactic exceptions
- Superior string manipulation
- Elegant and dynamic typing
- Interpreted nature
- Ideal for scripting and rapid application
- Fit for many platforms
Java is a general-purpose, object-oriented programming language designed for the development of software for consumer electronic devices, such as TVs, VCRs, toasters, etc.
Java is a platform-neutral language, which means that it is not tied to any particular hardware or operating system. It guarantees users to 'write once, run anywhere.' The Java language is supported by almost every operating system, such as Sun Solaris, RedHat, Windows, etc.
Features of Java Programming Language:
Java is platform-independent
Java was built with the philosophy of "write once, run anywhere" (WORA). The Java code (pure Java code and libraries) you write on one platform (operating system) will run on other platforms with no modification.
To run Java, an abstract machine called Java Virtual Machine (JVM) is used. The JVM executes the Java bytecode. Then, the CPU executes the JVM. Since all JVMs works exactly the same, the same code works on other operating systems as well, making Java platform-independent.
An object-oriented Language
There are different styles of programming. The object-oriented approach is one of the popular programming styles. In object-oriented programming, a complex problem is divided into smaller sets by creating objects. This makes your code reusable, has design benefits and makes code easier to maintain.
Many programming languages including Java, Python, and C++ has object-oriented features. If you are serious about programming, you should definitely learn the object-oriented style of programming.
Java is fast
The earlier versions of Java were criticized for being slow. However, things are completely different now. The new JVMs are significantly faster. And, the CPU that executes JVM is also getting more and more powerful.
Now, Java is one of the fastest programming languages. Well, optimized Java code is nearly as fast as lower-level languages like C/C++ and much faster than Python, PHP, etc.
Java is secure
The Java platform provides various features for security of Java applications. Some of the high-level features that Java handles are:
- provides a secure platform for developing and running applications
- automatic memory management reduces memory corruption and vulnerabilities
- provides secure communication by protecting the integrity and privacy of data transmitted
Large Standard Library
One of the reasons why Java is widely used is because of the availability of a huge standard library. The Java environment has hundreds of classes and methods under different packages to help software developers like us. For example,
- java.lang - for advanced features of strings, arrays, etc.
- java.util - for data structures, regular expressions, date and time functions, etc.
- java.io - for file i/o, exception handling, etc.