About the Role
This position is in the India Maps team. Maps play a foundational role in Uber; many of the core Uber product functions are built on top of or leverage Maps functionality directly or indirectly.
India Maps team develops high-priority, critical pieces of functionality for the Maps organization, working on a variety of things from Routing observability, diagnostics, algorithmic map error detection, experiment simulation platform, base map data platform to Uber Places platform, Legoland, etc.
The Routing stack in Uber is a set of technologies that produce the best route from point A to point B and estimates time (ETAs) for all Uber. This includes modeling traffic on roads from GPS locations, sophisticated routing algorithms with a variety of cost functions, turn-by-turn navigation experience, and machine-learned ETAs predictions. Our routing solutions powers many Uber products ranging from pickup ETAs, driver-rider matching (Uber Pool and others), fare estimation, EATs, Freight, Bicycles and more to come!
The base map data platform work involves building big data pipelines and infrastructure for the core data needs of Uber Maps. These pipelines parse, process and transform a wide variety of map data layers coming from a myriad of vendors as well as create a unified map model to represent global map data in a consistent manner.
The Uber places team builds an Uber owned dataset of business information that powers the critical function of Search for a destination or original for a trip by processing low-quality data from a multitude of vendors, and improving its quality and adding rich metadata using a combination of algorithms and human power.
The range of work comprises from building scalable big data (Hadoop, Spark, etc) processing to building data analytics/mining features to creating scalable services that move millions of people around the world as well as creating tools that allow in-house users to visualize and improve our products.
What You'll Do
- Work on a Truly unique set of problems. The nature of Uber's business imposes a distinct set of constraints on Maps that cannot be found elsewhere.
- Work with empathetic, smart and motivated teammates in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- You'll be working on mission-critical projects that are visible both inside and outside of Uber & creating Impact. Mapping is central to Uber's success
- Build world-class engineering for high throughput and low latency distributed systems. We take ownership in creating elegant and reliable code.
- Solving challenging problems with cutting edge algorithms. We move fast and build things that have never been built before.
What You'll Need
- Savvy with real-world algorithms
- Experience building scalable, sound architectures and reliable, high-performance applications that work amazingly well in the complex real world as well as stand the test of time.
- Experienced with large-scale distributed storage and database systems (SQL or NoSQL, e.g. MySQL, Cassandra)
- Adept at big data processing with some experience in Spark, Hadoop and/or MapReduce technologies.
- Able to independently drive multi-location projects that require digging into complex technology stacks