Short DescriptionAmerican Express is seeking Engineering Director who has hands-on development experience in modern technologies - Java, Go, Vert.x, React, Envoy, RPC, ProtoBuf, JSON, etc. along with strong knowledge on databases including NoSQL DBs like Couchbase and Cassandra.
- Provide technical leadership to deliver software solutions that exceed customer and stakeholder expectations.
- You will constantly pursue and learn industry leading/innovative solutions. Build high awareness of open-source technologies and communities that enable high volume low latency systems.
- Lead a culture of innovation and experimentation, support full software development lifecycle that incorporates the best of technology approaches and delivery methodologies.
- Engage with developers in a day to day activities and helping in the review of design, coding and SDLC tasks. Stepping into code where and if needed and be a hands-on leader
- Ensure on-time product releases that are of high quality, enabling the core vision of next-generation card processing systems compliant with regulatory requirements.
- Promote a fun and high engagement culture, with a results orientated focus. Hire, mentor, motivate and retain the best talent.
- Collaborate with peer technology and product teams across different locations.
- Leading a team in an environment which includes modern web frameworks and complex transaction processing systems leveraging a broad set of technology stacks (Node.js, React, Cassandra, Kafka, Java, Mainframes, Oracle, DB2, REDIS etc.)
- Communicate to senior leaders with regard to strategic direction and changes.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Science Engineering, or related field required; Advanced Degree preferred.
- Overall 8+ years of experience in developing and delivering leading-edge software solutions coupled with proven experience in building teams from scratch and growing individuals into leaders.
- Hands on development experience in modern technologies - Java, Go, Vert.x, React, Envoy, RPC, ProtoBuf, JSON, etc. along with strong knowledge on databases including NoSQL DBs like Couchbase and Cassandra
- Experience with applications with high throughput and low latency needs.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required, with the ability to create and deliver effective presentations to leadership across the organization
- Proven ability to influence and drive delivery across a geographically distributed organization
- Experience building highly available and low latency distributed systems. Experience building systems as service-oriented architecture and/or micro-services architecture.
- Experience attracting, hiring and retaining top engineering talent.
- Excellent judgment and constant pursuit of higher standards, a passion to build and champion high-efficiency teams.
- Is aware of the latest details of the business & technology trends
- Expects and drives innovation
- Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
- Self-motivated and results oriented
- Out of the box thinking