Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal's 277 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enable consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
Global Data Sciences (GDS) is the largest group in PayPal's Enterprise Services organization. The team comprises of data researchers, analysts, modelers, and software engineers. GRDS is in charge of implementing unique, best-of-breed fraud-detection algorithms using cutting-edge technologies, and delivering systems which are highly available, scalable, distributed, and process data at web scale to aid in detecting and preventing all forms of fraud and risk affecting the PayPal $240B payments network. As an architect, you will work closely with developers and data scientists to design, state-of-the-art, large scale analytics systems leveraging Graph processing, text mining, crawling and machine learning techniques. This is a unique opportunity to join the Architecture and Product team which is responsible for overlooking GDS technology, architecture, and product design. If you are passionate about technology and architecture, love hands-on development and want to build scalable, highly available systems - you should come work with us.
- Work with the development and data science team to design scalable data-driven analytical solutions and infrastructures, including technical feasibility and proposal development for Big Data storage, processing and consumption
- Design, coordinate and execute pilots, prototypes or proof of concepts to evaluate new technologies and frameworks
- Promote technical best practices, industry standards and architectural concepts with engineering teams
- Provide profiling and optimization guidance and tuning tips and tricks
- Work with global technology partners to help drive Hadoop maturation, governance across PayPal.
- At least 3 years experience in large scale, production, server-side development on the JVM
- At least 3 years experience working with Big Data technologies such as
- Hadoop / Spark / Hive / Kafka / HBase / Elastic Search stack / Cassandra - very significant advantage
- A passion for architecture and for developing robust, scalable software systems
- Experience in working in both dispersed and global environments
- Ability to push ideas and influence decision making in a collaborative manner
- Technology geek - very significant advantage
- Performance profiling and tuning of both application and storage layers - a significant advantage
- Hands on experience in DevOps practices - a significant advantage.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Highly motivated, goal driven, Can-do approach, curious and open minded
- Innovative, entrepreneurial, ability to multi-task
Fun to work with
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.