Short DescriptionAmerican Express is hiring a Software Engineer who has the Ability to think abstractly and deal with ambiguous/under-defined problems.
- Develops and tests software, including ongoing refactoring of code, and drives continuous improvement in code structure and quality
- The primary focus is spent writing code, API specs, conducting code reviews and testing in ongoing sprints, or doing the proof of concepts/automation tools. Applies visualization and other techniques to fast track concepts.
- Functions as a core member of an Agile team driving user story analysis and elaboration, design, and development of software applications, testing and builds automation tools.
- Works on a specific platform/product or as part of a dynamic resource pool assigned to projects based on demand and business priority.
- Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies & build reusable components.
- Ensures timely & effective communication with the reporting manager.
- The offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- This high energy Engineer must have:
- A BachelorÔ??s degree in computer science, computer engineering, other technical disciplines, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of software development experience. Hands-on expertise with application design, software development, and automated testing.
- Experience collaborating with the business to drive requirements/Agile story analysis.
- Ability to effectively interpret technical and business objectives and challenges, and articulate solutions.
- Ability to think abstractly and deal with ambiguous/under-defined problems.
- Ability to enable business capabilities through innovation. Looks proactively beyond the obvious for continuous improvement opportunities.
- High energy, demonstrated a willingness to learn new technologies and takes pride in how fast they develop working software.
- Strong programming knowledge in Java
- Solid understanding of data structures, Algorithms & Design Patterns is required
- Hands-on experience in Big Data technologies (at least MapReduce, Hive and HBase)
- Understanding and experience with UNIX / Shell / Perl / Python scripting
- Database query optimization and indexing
- Web services design and implementation using REST / SOAP
- Strong analytical ability
- Excellent communication skills
- Object-oriented design and coding
- Machine learning/data mining.