Short DescriptionAmerican Express is seeking a Developer to support the Learning MIS & Analytics Team.
- Work across teams to analyze, define, build, test, and implement robust reporting that reflects learner performance at multiple stages of the learning journey.
- In addition to delivering report capabilities, the candidate will complete project status updates, communicate project timelines and implementation plans, and advise/train on changes introduced to the business (i.e. new or enhanced reporting tool); the candidate will own the full life cycle of each project initiative.
- Leverage a variety of technical tools (i.e. SQL Server, DB2, Teradata, Hive, MS-Office suite, Magellan, Secure Shell, command-line UNIX, and Tableau Desktop/Server) to model, build, test, and implement reporting solutions that serve both mid- and executive-level customer bases
- Actively engage with multiple Learning stakeholder groups (i.e. Design, Delivery, and Global Knowledge Integration) to both define and recommend optimal reporting & analytic solutions
- Partner with enterprise technology group to define, plan, communicate, and verify releases
- Identify opportunities to streamline, automate, performance-tune, and/or drive greater data quality within the technical infrastructure that supports Learning reporting & analytics
- Create new metrics, tools, processes or reporting that will provide valuable data insights to GSLN and enable them to operate more efficiently and effectively
- Explore, learn, and adopt tools/technologies in the machine learning space (i.e. Pandas, Python, PySpark, Hive, elastic search, etc.) to provide the business with deeper analytical insights
- A degree in statistics, Six Sigma Certification, or previous work in data science related field a plus but not required
- Graduate with a minimum of 3 years in Structured Query Language (SQL), such as MS-SQL, MySQL or HiveQL
- Solid command and application of data engineering tools and concepts, including Big Data, relational database, raw data files, organized data layer (ODL), and command-line UNIX
- Strong data mining skills (i.e. SQL, Hive, Python, R, etc.) are essential
- Experience with data organization techniques, including with Magellan or similar ETL tools Experience with Tableau Desktop, Tableau Server, and published workbook creation/delivery
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS Excel, including Pivots; a solid background in VBA/ macro programming & debugging a plus
- Ability to successfully collect, analyze, and integrate data from a wide variety of data sources
- Ability to view the end-to-end data flow process, understand upstream/downstream effects of implementing change and plan appropriately to compensate and/or adjust when necessary
- Ability to work independently and drive results; candidate must be able to accept high-level project requirements and implement them with minimal leader intervention
- Strong execution and project management skills to implement and maintain the performance management processes and systems
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office related products (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Project, SharePoint, OneNote, etc.)
- Strong time management skills and a proven ability to consistently deliver on preset timelines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to competently and confidently interact with multiple leadership levels
- Committed team player with the ability to build and nurture relationships not only in person but also with a large, geo-dispersed virtual community
- Familiarity with Agile SDLC (concepts/roles/processes/tools) a plus but not required